—Solstice poems
Solstice reminds me
it takes a year to round the sun
while all the while I’m thinking
sun rounds me
watching shadows tell me
that story, y’know,
worlds of movements,
me center stage…
solstice reminds me,
my real place.
**
stretched its maximum length,
the ladder rests on the edge
of the top-most gutter, looped
and secured by rope—I bend
and tighten my laces
**
Thumbing through Thoreau,
journal pages of a young man
who chose “nothing to do,”
busily explaining how.
**
words trap you
only when you try
to trap them
**
the teacher said
do not put your trust
in teachers—
I don’t remember what else
he said
**
when all is said and done,
breath-storied words
are winged sky
**
As a kid in the east,
snow-giving sky had a look
we learned to tell
and we’d say
looks like snow, and
pretty much, sure enough.
In the morning we’d listen to the radio man,
not for weather, but to hear if the snow
was good enough
to cancel class.
As I remember, learning by looking and telling
wasn’t encouraged in school,
seems it was nurtured by the drifts in the streets
we played in when they were closed.
**
the hawk, the hawk, the gleam, the streaming
streak above the canyon floor,
the swoop, the wings, the up and gone…
the hawk
**
How certain turns of water in the bay
glitter with sun-rising light, while shore birds
trace circled trails in low-tide muds.
**
thinking of Issa,
words popping out, here and there
deftly brush-stroked to paper
then watching my own
percolate, bubble up and around,
drop out, stumble and trip
**
summer-hot sun leaves
at 5—clouds cover the rest
of its shift, cooler
**
the moon windows
at 3 am, lights the room
leaves only after
I’m awake
**
the last day
of the first half
of every year since
celebrates the birth
of the only middle child
**
clear blue sky hovers
ridge-line horizon
draped in gauze-white ribbons
of hill-bumping fogs
just beginning the reach
for canyon floors
that ride sea-to-bay peninsula
cool evenings
**
hearts beating again
and again don’t repeat life
but give it new, new, new…
**
and after all that walk and talk,
this and that, a passing glance
at volumes of poems on the shelves
sets my heart to racing
only the pen will slow
**
—for Jake Sigg, a Bay Area original
where the heart goes, legs follow
thank you, Jake
**
thinly lit in still chill,
morning air reaffirms
body’s healing being
there with it
**
Auto-biographical notes
disguised as poem-whispers
listen for what mountain grasses
say, I’ve learned, on the mountain.
Sitting in a worn leather chair, as I
do, looking out the window to the edge
of the universe, I know we never fall off,
only further in,
yet, nonetheless, often I swim
in that lingering sense of endless oceans
of word-breath, unable to fathom final land
and then, somehow calling connects, hearing
happens and there, the re-call of home:
the joy, the richness of the familiar, and if not
that, the concrete—the faces, the petals
and leaves, the crunch of heel
to trail, where
there and then
eases all, and rootless doubt
lifts to sky-smiles
where here-now knocks
doors never closed,
there, where pen and chair, daily chores,
the myriad mundane, each in its very own
shift and click, each with its own unique rub
tells the giving earth
of its place
in the universe.
No comments:
Post a Comment